« back to news

Off to university in September? Stay safe, stay insured

University students are three times more likely to be victims of burglary than the average household.

If your teenager is off to university in the autumn, make sure their belongings are properly insured.

Here are our top tips:

1.      Find out whether your home contents policy covers students while they are away. If it does, check:

·           Whether the cover is automatically extended, or you have to inform your insurer
·           The policy limit – on average, students need at least £4000 of cover.

2.      If you choose to buy a separate student contents policy, bear in mind that:

·           Accidental damage, belongings away from the home, and cover for bikes and musical instruments aren’t usually offered as standard
·           Some policies will only provide cover during term-term.

3.      Keep premiums low by:

·        Opting for a higher voluntary excess
·        Build up No Claims Discount
·        Only buy the amount of cover that is really needed
·        Choose accommodation that is properly secured
·        Pay annually rather than in monthly instalments
·        Use a broker to find you the best deal.

For help finding the right cover at the right price, call Westhill today on 020 8308 4344.

Posted By WestHill Insurance on 1st September, 2017