Our Flat Insurance

Why buy Flat Insurance with Westhill?

·        You’ll have a dedicated adviser who can help you identify exactly what you should insure, so you’ll never pay for cover you don’t need.

·        With our years of experience, and access to a vast panel of insurers, we’ll be able to find you the best policy at the most competitive price.

·        If the worst happens and you need to make a claim, our experienced team will support you through the process, making it run as smoothly as possible.

Call us today on 020 8304 4344 for advice and help on finding the right policy for your needs.

About Our Flat Insurance

Home insurance is made up of two key parts: buildings insurance and contents insurance. Buildings insurance covers damage to the structure of your home, eg roof, windows and ceilings, and all permanent fixtures, such as fitted kitchens and bathrooms. The terms of the policy will vary, but all buildings insurance policies should cover you in the event of fire, storm, flood, subsidence, burst pipes and theft.

Contents insurance pays for damage to, or loss of, your personal belongings while inside your home – as a general rule, the things that you could take with you if you moved.

Nearly one-fifth of households in England and Wales live in a flat. Flats can pose a higher insurance risk than houses – both in terms of risk to the property’s structure (eg a leak in the flat above) and a risk to the home’s contents (eg it’s harder to control access to the property if you share your home with other people). As a result, some people living in flats find it difficult to get suitable home insurance, while others may not even realise that their policy doesn’t provide adequate cover.

Whether you’re a landlord, a tenant or an owner-occupier of a flat, Westhill can help.

Flat insurance for landlords

It is usually the responsibility of the freeholder to arrange buildings insurance, so if you only own the leasehold, you probably won’t need to buy this type of cover.

If you are the freeholder, check that your buildings insurance covers malicious damage by tenants; some policies will also include glass, lock and key replacement as standard.

If the property you let is furnished, you’ll need to buy home contents insurance for your belongings.

As a landlord, you may be interested in Landlord Insurance. Policies differ, but many landlord insurance policies include home insurance as standard, as well as liability cover and loss of rent insurance.

Flat insurance for tenants

As the tenant of the flat, you won’t be responsible for buying buildings insurance, but you will need contents insurance to cover your personal belongings.

Finding suitable contents insurance can be tricky if you live in a flat share. Because multiple people will have access to your belongings, insurers will often consider you a higher risk. This can mean higher premiums, cover with particular conditions (eg using a lock on your bedroom door) or a refusal to cover you at all.

Beware of any restrictions on your contents policy. The risks that former tenants may still have keys, and that you probably won’t have any control over the people your flatmates let into your home, mean that some insurers will only pay claims for theft of personal possessions when there are signs of forced entry.

If your flat is furnished by your landlord, he’ll be responsible for insuring all the furniture and homeware that he provides.

If you do share a flat with other people, give some thought to whether you each want to buy separate contents policies, a single communal policy that covers everyone in the flat. A communal policy will normally be cheaper than multiple single ones, but it will also be more difficult for you to administrate (collecting each person’s share of the premium, and agreeing what to do when one flatmate moves out).

Flat insurance for owner-occupiers

If you own a share of the freehold of the flat that you live in, you’ll need to buy buildings insurance. This will usually be done with the other freeholders in the building (or via a managing agent).

You’ll also need contents insurance for your personal belongings. If you live by yourself, or with family members, contents insurance should be reasonably straightforward. However, if you let out one or more rooms in your flat, it may be difficult to find suitable cover (see flat insurance for tenants above).


Want help finding a great value Flat insurance policy?
Call our expert team who’ll do all of the shopping around for you.

What Next?

Call us on
0208 308 4344 or email us at

Get a Quote

Get a Quote

When should we call?

I would like to discuss this now.


Call me when my insurance renews

my renewal date is approximately
Contact me Later

Get a Quote

Call me when my insurance renews

my renewal date is approximately

Why Westhill?

Did you know?

If you have a lift within your block you are required by law to have it inspected every 6 months by an approved engineer and hold appropriate reports to confirm. Contact us on 0208 308 4344.

Most insurers like to insure flats under one policy, so there's no confusion over who should pay for communal areas like the stairs. Contact us on 0208 308 4344.

Some Flat insurance policies offer cover for damaged Fire Extinguishers, Sprinklers or Alarm systems as benefit at no extra cost. Contact us on 0208 308 4344.

Want to find out more about Flat insurance?
Click here for our FAQ

Find Out More About Our Flat Insurance


What is flat insurance?

When we talk about flat insurance, we’re really talking about buildings and/or contents insurance for flats.

At Westhill, we know that flats can pose different risks from standalone properties, particularly where there’s shared responsibility for common areas. This can make it difficult to find appropriate cover with some insurers.

If you’re a landlord, you may want to take out a bespoke Landlord Insurance policy.

Who’s responsible for arranging building insurance for flats?

The person who owns the freehold of property is responsible for buying buildings insurance, not the tenant. Where multiple people own a share of the freehold (ie a block of flats), you can choose to either take out your own policy or buy a single policy that covers everyone. It is usually simpler and cheaper to buy a block policy.

If you own the leasehold, you won’t usually need to arrange this type of cover, however, beware that the freeholder (or their managing agent) will likely seek a contribution from you to cover your proportion of the premium so check the terms of your lease. As you’re paying indirectly for the cover, you may want to ask the freeholder to share the policy details with you so that you can be sure that you’re getting a good deal.

Do I need bespoke home contents insurance for my flat?

Whether you’re a tenant or an owner-occupier, you will need to take out contents insurance to cover your personal belongings.

Buying contents insurance as an owner-occupier is fairly straightforward. However, if you live in a flat share, it can become more complicated. Many insurers will see you as a higher risk than someone who lives alone or with family members, which can result in higher premiums or restricted cover. Use a broker to help you find the best policy.

If you’re the landlord of a furnished flat, you should take out contents insurance to cover all the furniture and homeware that you provide.

Can't find what you are looking for?
Contact us

Let's Talk

Speak to someone at
Westhill Insurance

Looking for our expertise in insurance?
Send a message or call 0208 308 4344