Our Home Contents Insurance

Why buy Home Contents Insurance with Westhill?

•    You’ll have a dedicated adviser who can help you identify exactly what you should insure, so you’ll never pay for cover you don’t need.
•    With our years of experience, and access to a vast panel of insurers, we’ll be able to find you the best policy at the most competitive price.
•    If the worst happens and you need to make a claim, our experienced team will support you through the process, making it run as smoothly as possible. 

About Our Home Contents Insurance

Confused about how much your home contents are worth? Don’t know whether you need accidental damage cover? Unsure what legal expenses insurance is?

Don’t panic. Speak to one of our experts today – call us on 020 8304 4344, and we’ll be happy to talk you through everything. 

Whether you live in student digs or a high value home full of antiques, Westhill will find the right policy for you.

Want help finding a great value Home Contents insurance policy?
Call our expert team who’ll do all of the shopping around for you.

What Next?

Call us on
0208 308 4344 or email us at

Get a Quote

Get a Quote

When should we call?

I would like to discuss this now.


Call me when my insurance renews

my renewal date is approximately
Contact me Later

Get a Quote

Call me when my insurance renews

my renewal date is approximately

Why Westhill?

Did you know?

On average kids carry more than £201 of valuables to and from school each day. Yet 55% of parents don’t know if they have away-from-home cover insurance! Children are carrying expensive i-pads, games consoles –plus other items such as musical instruments. Call our friendly team NOW on 0208 308 4344 to make sure these items are cover.

The average female buys 5 pairs of shoes in a lifetime which never see the light of day! Stashed at the back of the wardrobe, these are often overlooked when totting up the value of your personal belongings. Step up to the mark: get good insurance advice by calling us on 0208 308 4344.

Fire services and insurers are urging landlords to carry out regular checks for cannabis farms in rented homes. Drug gangs re-route electric and water meters to grow their crops, which can result in severe property damage, and increase the risk of flood and fire. Call us on 020 8304 4344 for professional landlord insurance advice.

In the last two years, 25% of cyclists have had their bikes stolen, so is yours insured? Some household insurance policies cover bicycles, others don’t. Confused? Call our friendly team on 0208 308 4344 for advice, and really good value policies.

The cost of home office technology soon adds up – and losing the means to work in a disaster or burglary could ruin a small business. Standard home insurance doesn’t do the job – you need professional advice to make sure you are covered. Call our professional team on 0208 308 4344 and get your home office covered.

Having a lodger may invalidate your accidental damage insurance as it will inevitably result in more spillages and breakages. Make sure you tell your insurance company if you are taking in a lodger and get advice – call our team on 0208 308 4344 for help.

Any washing line that is put up across a street is an illegal erection so keep washing lines to the confines of your own garden – that way your washing is less likely to get stolen! If your smalls do disappear, you may be able to claim under your home insurance policy. Ask us on 020 8308 4344.

On average, 23% of garden gnomes move once every 9.2 years. They may be moving more frequently now as all types of garden ornaments are being regularly stolen from gardens across the country. Contents insurance on your property is a must – so if your gnome goes walkies, you can at least replace him! Call us on 0208 308 4344.

Owning a wine collection is now a popular way of investing money. Wine cellars and specialist units have become must-have home accessories recently. Wine can be worth a considerable sum, so be careful not to under insure. Don’t pop your cork, call 0208 308 4344 to insure your liquid assets.

31% of students take away belongings valuing between £2-£5,000 when heading for university. These need to be insured, because a staggering 20% of UK students are victims of theft! Don’t get caught out, check out our friendly team on 0208 308 4344 and let us get your stuff covered properly.

Many people think that their home insurance policy provides adequate protection for their mobile phone, however, contents cover will usually only pay for a replacement handset, it won’t cover the cost of unauthorised calls. Before you lose your phone, call us on 020 8308 4344 for mobile phone insurance.

“Apple Picking” has a sinister new meaning. Criminals, often on bikes, snatch mobiles phones straight from the owner as they talk or text. Be vigilant of your surroundings when using a phone - and don’t be tempted to chase down the perpetrator as they can turn nasty. Make sure your belongings are fully insured, ask for assistance on 0208 308 4344.

As a nation we have lost £16 billion worth of gadgets in the last 5 years. You need to check your contents insurance to see if your gadgets are covered on your policy: if in doubt call for professional advice on 0208 308 4344 and keep your gadgets safe!

Your home insurance may not cover your teen’s belongings at university. Make sure they’re covered before they fly the nest. Call our professional team on 020 8304 4344 for advice.

Research shows that disgruntled home insurance buyers are fed up with complicated pricing, poor service and terms and conditions aimed at catching them out if they make a claim! For straightforward, jargon free advice and products, call our friendly team on 0208 308 4344 for relaxed, easy to understand help.

If you are a small internet business trading from home, the chances are that your home insurance will not cover your business stock at all - let alone liabilities you may incur through fraud and other activity. So make sure you check – call us on 0208 308 4344 for more information.

Want to find out more about Home Contents insurance?
Click here for our FAQ

Find Out More About Our Home Contents Insurance

​What is home contents insurance?

Home contents insurance covers the loss of, or damage to, just about everything you’d take with you if you moved house (and a little bit more) – furniture, carpets, curtains, kitchen equipment (freestanding, not fitted), clothes, electrical goods and so on.

The detail of the cover differs between policies, but you can usually expect a home contents policy to cover loss or damage which occurs due to weather, fire, theft, vandalism, subsidence, falling trees, moving objects (such as a car hitting your home) and escaping or leaking water.

Policies will also usually cover:
• Your legal liability as occupier of the house (e.g. if a visitor injures themselves).
• The cost of accommodation and storage if you can’t live in your home because of damage (e.g. fire).
• The contents of your outbuildings.

How much cover do I need?

Every policy has a limit on how much you can claim, so you need to make sure that you are covered for the full cost of replacing the things you own.

Research suggests that about one in four of us underestimates how much our contents are worth, leading to underinsurance. This can mean that your policy won’t pay out enough for you to replace your possessions should you need to claim.

To help you work out how much cover you need, download our Home Contents Inventory Guide.

What is accidental damage cover?

Accident damage insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing possessions that have been damaged by an unforeseen, one-off incident.

It does cover accidents caused by children (so if your rogue toddler manages to push over the television and crack the screen, your insurer should pay out), but it won’t usually cover accidents caused by pets.

It also doesn’t cover wear and tear or bad workmanship.

What is legal expenses cover?

Legal expenses insurance offers you protection if you’re faced with a potentially expensive legal dispute. When sold alongside home insurance, it typically covers the cost of legal proceedings relating to your home (e.g. boundary disputes), employment (e.g. unfair dismissal), or personal injury, as well as cases where you have entered into a contract for the sale and supply of goods and services (e.g. a dispute with a tradesman).

What is All Risks cover?

All Risks cover insures your personal possessions against accidental loss, damage and theft whenever you take them away from the home.

Which other types of cover should I consider?

Every policy is different. Some will include the following types of cover, while others will offer them as add-ons. Here are some popular types of cover that you may want to think about including in your home contents policy:
• Accidental death & personal accident – provides a lump sum payment following the death of the policyholder, their spouse or a dependent arising from a sudden and unforeseen incident that occurs at home.
• Brown & white goods - protects against the costs of call out charges, labour and replacement parts for essential household appliances in the event they suffer mechanical or electrical breakdown.
• Buildings & Contents Excess Reimbursement - provides reimbursement of any excess that you pay in the event of a successful household claim, as well recovering any owed excess from a liable third party after six months.
• Gadget cover (all risks) – covers the cost of repairing or replacing gadgets including cameras, mp3 players, games consoles, e-readers, laptops, tablets and mobile phones. 
• Handbag cover (all risks) - provides indemnity against the repair and replacement costs following accidental damage or theft of your handbag.
• Home Emergency - provides protection for a wide range of common but unexpected emergencies that happen around the home, such as burst pipes, blocked drains and central heating failure. 
• Key cover - protects against the cost of locksmith’s fees, replacement keys, the re-programming of alarms, and, if required, onward transport charges in the event of the loss, damage or theft of their keys. Cover is extended to the insured’s family members who live at the same address.
• Lifestyle excess reimbursement – reimburses excesses paid in the event of a successful motor, home, travel, medical or pet insurance claim, as well as recovering the excesses owed by a liable third party. 
• Mobile phone cover - provides cover for the mobile phone in the event of damage, breakdown or theft, plus it covers the cost of any unauthorised calls, texts and data usage when stolen.
• Money & credit cards cover – covers loss of money and credit cards both in the home and away from it.
• Contents of outbuildings – the contents of your outbuildings, including your shed, will normally be covered by your contents policy up to a set limit, but you can usually increase the amount of protection provided.

Can't find what you are looking for?
Contact us

Let's Talk

Speak to someone at
Westhill Insurance

Looking for our expertise in insurance?
Send a message or call 0208 308 4344