« back to news


With the Met office saying our weather is set to be turbulent for a while yet, there are some simple precautions you can take to prepare for the bad weather, and here we offer some advice.


  • Make sure you have the emergency contact numbers for your insurer, local authority and utility companies to hand and in a water proof place. (If you have these on your mobile, make sure it is kept fully charged!)
  • Listen out for bad weather warnings on local TV and radio. You can register also with the Met office to received warnings by email
  • Check the Environment Agency’s website and sign up for their free flood warning service
  • Make sure any unsecured items, such as ladders in gardens, that can cause damage in high winds are all secured
  • If you have a car, try to move it away from the path the flood is expected to take
  • If you are in a high flood risk area, try to move any valuable or essential items upstairs or to high place
  • Keep your mobile phone with you at all times
  • Check it is safe to use electricity, gas and water supplies


  • Do not do anything which may put you or your household at risk
  • Only return to your home or business when it is safe to do so
  • Contact your home insurer as soon as possible. Most have 24 hour emergency helplines where you can obtain advice on what to do and how to arrange repairs as soon as possible
  • If necessary, arrange temporary repairs to stop the damage getting worse. Tell your insurer and be sure to keep all receipts as they will form part of your claim
  • Do not be too hasty in throwing away damaged items (unless they are a health hazard) as these may be able to be repaired or restored. Await the advice of your insurer
  • It can take weeks – or even months – for a property to dry out fully, so do not be too hasty to redecorate – your insurer can advise on this


  • Most household buildings and contents policies will cover flood and storm damage, including that caused by storm winds. If your home is declared uninhabitable, your insurer will usually pay for temporary accommodation while it is being repaired.
  • Motor insurance covers damage to vehicles with comprehensive policies. Again, contact your insurer as soon as possible to get your claim under way. Some policies may provide you with a replacement vehicle if the damage is repairable.
  • Business insurance policies will cover storm and flood damage to premises and stock
  • Business interruption cover (which may be included or purchased separately) will cover additional costs such as hiring temporary premises.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted due to bad weather, check your travel policy and contact your airline

Insurance is the key to being to manage storm and flood damage – but you need to have this in place before these things strike. Our professional and friendly team at Westhill Insurance Services can advise on both home and contents as well as business insurance, so that you can keep a lid on things should you be affected by the bad weather Mother Nature is dishing out on a global scale. Give us a call now and see how we can help you secure your property, home and business: as an independent insurance broker we will shop around to find the insurance you need and we will then be there for you should you need us. We don’t just sell insurance, we make it work for you too, providing advice and guidance all the way.

Contact Westhill Insurance Services, today.

Posted By Ryan Jennings on 15th January, 2014