« back to news

Business Travel Insurance – Does your Boss Insure you?

When you travel abroad on business it is important to ensure you have adequate travel insurance before you go. If you are an employee of the company you are travelling on behalf of you would normally assume they would pay the bills should you encounter difficulties abroad. Beware – this is not always the case and you should check with your employer the extent of your insurance. You may or may not be covered for medical treatment, flights (should you need to return early) or for replacement equipment such as laptops etc.

If you are self employed or you are part of your own business it is vitally important that you have adequate cover when you travel. Regular travel insurance is fine, but if you are travelling with valuable equipment or to multiply destinations then you will require specialist business insurance. Cover can vary depending on the insurer, but generally there are two types of cover: Single trip Cover, or if you travel quite frequently, you should consider Annual Multi-trip cover. You should speak with a professional insurance company. Westhill Insurance Services has knowledgeable and friendly staff who can guide you through the maze that is travel insurance. As independent brokers, they will listen to you to learn exactly what insurance you require and will then find you the best possible deal.

Some of the points you may like to think about with regard to insurance are:

Medical Expenses – should you become ill or injured whilst abroad this will cover the cost of any treatment, medication or surgery. This may also include emergency transport should you need to be flown home in the event of a medical emergency.

Money, Cheques or Documents – should you lose your money, credit card or travellers cheques, or have these stolen, some policies will see that you are reimbursed. Likewise if you lose important documents then action can be taken to get you what you need.

Cancellation Compensation – this should cover the cost of cancellations, accommodation, transport and travel expenses should you need to return home early.

Business Equipment Cover – this kind of cover can include protection against the loss or theft of laptops, PDA's, cameras or other important equipment.

Emergency Colleague – should you need to return home for any reason, this type of cover should pay for the cost of a replacement colleague to be flown out to continue your work.

Personal Liability – cover against injury or mistreatment. This may or may not include legal cover.

Emergency Assistance – this ranges from travel advice, medical advice, rescue etc and depends very much on the extent of your policy.

Sports Equipment – usually an optional extra, if you are taking your golf clubs or tennis racquet with you for example in the hope of some R&R, then these can be included in your insurance if required.

So, as you head oversees to land the deal of a lifetime, make sure that you have no worries about insurance – trust Westhill Insurance Services and let them organise the best possible cover for you.

Contact Westhill Insurance Services, today.

Posted on 19th September, 2011